Re: Encrypt

Am Mo, den 20.09.2004 schrieb Dalibor Malek um 0:39:

> Is it possible to somehow encrypt the whole hard disk in a manner that
> the whole system, copying(from my scripts) and so on have full access,
> but if someone wants to connect to the machine this is not granted
> except he knows the right password(I know this is already done with
> ssh1), but also if some one opens a terminal he muss give in the
> password to access all files.

I do not understand this part of your posting. Besides ssh1 is obsolete
and you should always use ssh protocol 2, Linux always requires
authentication for a login process. Someone who is able to open up a
terminal has already authenticated. Or what case do you mean?

> The same should be if someone wants to copy the hard disk, only if he
> knows the password he can succeed else the only thing he gets is garbage.
> Is there something like that?

The kernel 2.6 meanwhile has encryption modules by default, so does the
Fedora Core 2 kernel. Recently on the developer list was a discussion
about how to use this with device-mapper to have a totally encrypted
system.

> Dalibor Malek

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 16:22:41 up 18:26, 13 users, 1.02, 0.60, 0.44