Re: One /home/username shared amongst several Fedora instances using external HD

Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
> If you login and $HOME as established in /etc/passwd
> is not there bad things happen.  In some systems you will
> be given / or /tmp as a home dir.  In other systems you
> cannot login at all.

On the other hand, given that the original concept was to mount the home
directory *at* /home/username (see the title), if the filesystem is not
mounted, all you will get is the empty directory. It is quite possible
to put a few scratch login files there (so you have a basic environment
available when the mount fails): under normal circumstances, they will
be hidden by the mounted filesystem.

But you shouldn't need *any* files in /home/username just to log in.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Luck is my middle name," said Rincewind,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | indistinctly. "Mind you, my first name is Bad."