Re: Not As Clever As I Thought I Was

Dave Cross wrote:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:39:38 +0200, Alexander Apprich
<a.apprich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dave Cross wrote:

2/ Why isn't there a Perl 5.8.5 rpm that works with the FC2 release?

Don't have much of an answer for you, but is there a reason not using ActiveState's ActivePerl? http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePerl/Linux/5.8/ActivePerl-5.8.4.810-i686-linux.tar.gz

Havn't tried it myself on Linux (I develop with Perl on Windows), but
maybe it's worth a try...

Well, it's 5.8.4 instead of 5.8.5 for a start :)

Yeppers :-) Allways the same question: Do you reallt _need_ the latest version??

If I was that concerned, I could just build Perl 5.8.5 from source. But that would also mean building my own mod_perl. And that's a can of worms that I'd like to keep firmly closed.

Well, for me there is a big difference in building perl from scratch and using ActiveState's ActivePerl. It should be very easy getting the correct mod_perl via ppm3

[root@rubikon root]# export PATH="/usr/local/activeperl/bin:$PATH"
[root@rubikon root]# which perl
/usr/local/activeperl/bin/perl
[root@rubikon root]# which ppm3
/usr/local/activeperl/bin/ppm3
[root@rubikon root]# ppm3
PPM - Programmer's Package Manager version 3.1.
Copyright (c) 2001 ActiveState Corp. All Rights Reserved.
ActiveState is a devision of Sophos.

Entering interactive shell. Using Term::ReadLine::Perl as readline library.

Type 'help' to get started.

ppm> install mod_perl
====================
Install 'mod_perl' version 1.29 in ActivePerl 5.8.4.810.
Downloaded 45 bytes.
Successfully installed mod_perl version 1.29 in ActivePerl 5.8.4.810.
ppm> exit

I decided a year or so ago that wherever possible I'd stick with rpms
supplied by my distribution. Generally that makes life much simpler.

Me, too. But didn't you say that you want to develop with a newer version of perl? In case you want to develop with perl using apache and mod_perl seems like you have to wait till it's availible...

Other than that, split perl into devel and work.

Dave...

Alex