wireless speedup/slowdown

Does anyone know why a connection from a wireless router would generally be at
11mbps but then slow down to 5.5, down to 2, up to 5.5, down to 1, up to 2,
etc.? The signal strength remains at or above 88% at all times, and does not
fluctuate when these drops/jumps in "Connection speed" happen.

There is no one else in the house, no one using the XP machine that is also
connected (by wire) to the router, the router presumably is not doing
anything else. It's a high speed connection from the router to the wall
(Internet connection from my local phone co.). And none of that should matter
anyway, right? My KDE wireless monitor should only be measuring my speed to
the router when it says 11mbs or 2mbps or whatever it reads currently, right?

Connections do seem very slow with this router/laptop combination today too.
Web sites appear instantly on the wired machine, very slowly (even resolving
hostname, etc.) on the laptop (same router).

But it's weird, hotmail.com, for example, pops up instantly on the XP machine,
but takes forever to "resolve hostname" on the linux laptop -- even on
multiple retries. Yet google and imdb.com pop up instantly on the laptop.

--
Trevor Smith // trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx