Re: Devlabel and Fstab with usb pendrive

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:13:02 +0100, Darragh Bailey
<daragh.bailey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > To stop updfstab from complaining about /dev/usb-pendrive remove the
> > "kudzu" option.
> That doesn't have an effect, updfstab still seems to read through all
> the entries to verify that the devices exist.

Got the pendrive working a while ago but I noticed some minor
irratating issues that I can't seem to solve.

I created a new file /etc/updfstab.conf.local and included into
/etc/updfstab and now my TinyDisk pendrive mounts on /mnt/flash (which
is created as required) when you plug it in. Only irk with that is I
can't control the mount options very well, i.e. I can't set it up so
that the options noatime and users so that

1) access times are not written which use up the finite number of
writes that flash has (no point in wasting them)
2) so that if one user mounts this on the selected machine when
another user comes along they can umount it.

By default it can only be umounted by the user who mounted it or root
and I don't like su'ing just because someone forgot to remove the
pendrive when they were finished with it.

Anyone know how to either use updfstab to get it to set these options
or at least some other way, perhaps auto remounting?

The other problem I've noticed is that if I have the default file
browser open in FC2 it appears that fam is running in the background
and prevents the pendrive from being unmounted until all the file
browser windows are closed at which point fam exits and you can then
unmount the pendrive. Problem is this occurs even if the file browser
was not being used to access the pendrive. I could just be viewing my
own home directory and it would still block the umounting of the
pendrive.

I think I ran into this before but could never work out what the
problem was when I had a second harddrive of shared partitions that I
would mount and umount as required. Same issue appeared that sometimes
even though nothing appeared to be accessing the harddrive it was not
unmounted.

Any ideas on how to solve this or is it currently just the way the
system is supposed to behave until either the file browser or fam is
modified? I'm not certain but could the use of noatime have an effect
on this problem?

--
Darragh Bailey
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"