Re: X.org from FC3/Test2 on FC2 system?

Steve Snyder wrote:
How foolish would it be to installed the X.org packages from FC3/Test2 on my FC2 system?

(My interest in the current version of X.org stems from the fact that the FC2 packages (v6.7.x) do not support 3D on my video controller. Support for 3D on this hardware is one of the new features of the FC3/T2 (v6.8.x) packages.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

It depends upon your video Graphics controller. 815 - stay away, 845 - now it works. radeon 7200 - forget it, other radeon cards tried - stay away from 24 depth and things seem to work fine w/ DRI active.

There is a problem that some systems experience using certain depth values and resolutions. For more information, you might check out the fedora-test-list for xorg related successes and failures. Granted the bugs are discussed more than the successes, expect to look at bugzilla outstanding bugs and bug reports on the xorg-x11 website for possible blockades with your hardware type. This move would ensure that your 3D wishes would be successful.

But as best advice, setup a test installation and leave the FC2 as an FC2 version. This might reduce the change of recent font package conflicts.
That is, unless you have the the intel 845 graphics controller. The Rawhide version works and FC2 will probably never see the 6.8 version as an upgrade. In this situation, the unstable tree is stable and the stable tree is unstable.

Jim