RE: Copy + Paste in Quanta (FC2)

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 10:56, Graham Cossey wrote:

> > > Section "Monitor"
> > > 	Identifier   "Monitor0"
> > > 	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
> > > 	ModelName    "L1910B"
> > > 	DisplaySize  380	300
> > > 	HorizSync    30.0 - 83.0
> > > 	VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0
> > > 	Option	    "dpms"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > Section "Device"
> > > 	Identifier  "Videocard0"
> > > 	Driver      "nv"
> > > 	VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
> > > 	BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 3 (generic)"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > Section "Screen"
> > > 	Identifier "Screen0"
> > > 	Device     "Videocard0"
> > > 	Monitor    "Monitor0"
> > > 	DefaultDepth     24
> > > 	SubSection "Display"
> > > 		Viewport   0 0
> > > 		Depth     24
> > > 		Modes    "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768"
> > > "800x600" "640x480"
> > > 	EndSubSection
> > > EndSection
> > ----
> > have you installed the 3d driver for nVidia per ?
> > <http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nvidia>
>
> No I have not. Do I need to, even if I don't really need 3D? This is
> basically a server, on which I also want to maintain some PHP code. My
> 'resolution' problem is simply to do with font and general window rendering
> which appears much less defined than in windose. I would like this problem
> resolved as I have a spare PC that I was going to install FC2 as a
> workstation for general use.
>

> > Can you switch between the various resolutions with Control-Alt-{numeric
> > - | numeric +} ?
>
> I can, thanks, I didn't know about that. However, it's not quite like
> changing it through system-config-display and restarting X as when the
> resolution is decreased I only see a portion of the desktop. I would have
> assumed to have been shown a full desktop with larger icons and fonts.
----
I don't know about 'having' to update to the nVidia driver since I
haven't done it but I have to assume that the nVidia driver would
provide much better performance than the open source driver from xorg.
The video card vendors keep their 'secrets' close to their chest and the
open source drivers are less than optimal (perhaps more so with nVidia
than ATI).

More importantly though, from your previous email regarding Quanta and
Copy/Paste, you left the distinct impression that you haven't installed
all of the various updates which really need to be installed for
performance and security reasons. I believe that a complete update of
KDE and xorg stuff has happened since last May when FC-2 was released.

You have to keep in mind that Fedora by design is meant to be a less
tested, more to the leading edge of Linux software. This means that the
bugs tend to be more numerous than 'stable' products and it is
participatory. I generally wouldn't recommend that you use Fedora for
servers but that's just me, I use RHEL and have begun using
whiteboxlinux for servers. These are 'stable' products (more tested).

Lastly, note that the line in xorg.conf
Modes    "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768"
"800x600" "640x480"
can be re-arranged. As I understand things, the first number listed will
be the desktop that loads at startup (if possible). Make a backup of the
file first
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.saved
before editing and perhaps try the 1280x1024 first and see what happens.

Craig