USB DVD-RW drive

I have been wanting to get a DVD-RW drive and recently someone suggested I get an external drive, which I had never thought of. It will be more expensive than an internal drive, but I could use it on all of my computers to backup data, with less hassle than an internal drive. Also, I might be getting a laptop later on, so I would be able to use it on the laptop as well.

Are USB DVD burners well supported in linux? If so, which models would you recommend? I would prefer a dual-layer capable burner if I can find one in my budget.