3ware 9000 Series SATA Raid and Fedora Core 2 ?

I recently installed FC2 on a new system containing the following hardware:
	Intel Pentium4
	Supermicro P4SCi mainboard
	3ware S9500-8 raid controller
	4x WD sata drives 250GB connected to raid controller
	1x WD sata drive connected to maind board (boot disk)

I'm a Linux dummie and can't get my raid controllor installed. Is there
anybody who wants to help me ?

The installation guide of the 3ware controller sais there is a driver for
linux red hat 9.0
--> can I use that driver or do I have to recompile the driver for FC2 ?

The installation guide also says I have to
1) copy the file 3w-9xxx.o from the driver cd or 3ware website to
	/lib/modules/<put kernel string here>/kernel/drivers/scsc/3w-9xxx.o
--> that worked

2) add following line to /etc/modules.conf
	alias scsi_hostadapter 3w-9xxx
--> there is no such file on my system, maybe I should change modprobe.conf
which contains following lines ?
	alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
	alias scsi_hostadapter1 3w-xxxx

3) run mkintrd or modprobe to load the driver
Which method is the best in my case ?
I already tried /sbin/mkinitrd -v -f /boot/intrd-<kernel string>.img <kernel
string>
--> it seems it didn't work

I did not try the alternative yet: modprobe  3w-9xxx

TIA, Erwin