Re: / space usage

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:59:48 -0400, Mark Haney <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My question is, where did the other 12GB or so space go?  My logs files
> are a few MB, same with yum cache.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I
> uninstalled KDE and KOffice but that only freed up about 300MB space.
> What's the deal here?  I never had this problem before on the 20GB
> partition, so why is this an issue now?

As root, try "du -sk /* | sort -nr | uniq". That will at least get you
started; something might have happened in /var or /home, or at least
those would be my first guesses. If those entries in the list you
generate look large, just keep running the command on /whatever or
/whatever/subwhatever until you find the culprit.

You can use find to track down files larger than a specified size, too.

--
Kyle Maxwell
[krmaxwell@xxxxxxxxx]