Re: NTP syncing

Paul Howarth wrote:

Your time would be closer to real time if you ran ntpdate before starting up ntpd though. If you create/edit the file /etc/ntp/step-tickers and have it contain the following lines:

Actually, the ntp people are trying to deprecate ntpdate. They have an option to ntpd that essentially tells it to do the sort of equivalent of ntpdate when it starts...(I forget -g, or -q, or something). In any case I believe that the Fedora /etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd does the "right thing" and uses the "step tickers" file if it exists and is non-null to call ntpdate and starts ntpd; or if you make that file null, I think it starts ntpd in the "do an initial jump" mode. I would need to investigate further to absolutely confirm this though. (Redhat 7.3 ran that way, but they did a bunch of changes to the ntpd script for Fedora.)

John