Re: NTP syncing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Howarth" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 7:47 AM
Subject: Re: NTP syncing
> > So I seem to be very close.
>
> It takes a while to synchronise properly. Give it time.
>
> Your time would be closer to real time if you ran ntpdate before starting up
> ntpd though. If you create/edit the file /etc/ntp/step-tickers and have it
> contain the following lines:
>
> time.nist.gov
> ns.arc.nasa.gov
> tick.usno.navy.mil
>
> then the Fedora NTP initscript will try to synchronise time with one of those
> servers before starting ntpd, and your time will be better synchronised, more
> quickly.
>
> Cheers, Paul.
Hi Paul,

Looks like it is working. I got the following output from ntpstat:

synchronised to local net at stratum 11
   time correct to within 12 ms
   polling server every 64 s

Thanks for the advice on ntpdate. I've added that info to /etc/ntp/step-tickers.

I really appreciate your taking the time to help me here.

Thanks!

Mike