Re: Email Server

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:31:49 +0200, Alexander Dalloz
<alexander.dalloz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am So, den 19.09.2004 schrieb Seb E. Payne um 14:08:
>
> > Thanks Juan. I will look into it. However, I have been reading through
> > the PHP Groupware website and the Installation HOWTO mentions SQL
> > database. Which is better (for us!), MySQL or PostgreSQL?
>
> You are asking questions of the kind: which one is better, an BMW or a
> Mercedes Benz?

I would disagree.  It's more like a Mercedes Benz (PostgreSQL) and a
sporty VW (MySQL).  I think anyone who works with both will say that
PG is far more mature in both stability and features.  I like both but
PG gets my vote hands down.

> Use the SQL database you are more familiar with. Maybe MySQL is easier
> to handle for you, I think it is quicker for what you want to use the
> DB.

He makes a good point.  It sounds like you are biting off a lot at one
time.  I would recommend going with what you now and easing yourself
into this whole thing.  Getting to know one sever can be a challenge
to getting to know 5 (SQL, SMTP, IMAP, POP, .....) new servers is a
full time job.  Again, use what you know for now even if it is MS.
Easing into it will help you have a better experience and keep you
from going back to what you had out of frustration.

P.S.  Keep your eyes out for PostgreSQL 8.0.  It will be out any day now.