Squid monitoring

I've been looking for a tool that will allow for determine what IP
address is using the squid server the most.

I've setup the squid server on a Fedora machine, and had two of my
classrooms running with it. Getting a 40% cache hit ratio, but the
College MIS department didn't like it since, all the traffic from those
labs showed up coming from the Fedora machine. They want to be
able to check on who is using the bandwidth when it peaks. The
college has had a single T1 line for almost 5 years, with no upgrade
in bandwidth. You'd think a 40% hit ratio would be worth something
but no. I've looked at the all the programs with squid in them, and
they allow for checking the squid log file, but not really realtime. I
had also setup the squid to block the standard ports used by things
like Kazaa but that again wasn't good enough.

I've also setup this fedora machine 9 Ethernet port. Originally, I had
a Novell server with 7 ports with each classroom having private
segments before the admin MIS took over things. The machine has
separate private IP blocks for each behind the firewall of the box.
Only been able to use it once, ran a 100' cable to one classroom to
show my networking class.

Thanks.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  14,337
Processing time:  29 years,   7 days, 20 hours, 41 minutes
(Total Hours: 254,229)