Re: One /home/username shared amongst several Fedora instances using external HD

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 11:49, John Thompson wrote:
> CB wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 09:10, John Thompson wrote:
> >

> >>That's what I do here.  User home directories are hosted on a FreeBSD
> >>machine, and are mounted via NFS as the users' home directories
> >>regardless of whether they're using linux, FreeBSD or NetBSD.  I have
> >>them set up has samba shares as well, so users' "My Documents" directory
> >>  is actually the samba-mounted home directory on the FreeBSD machine
> >>when they use Windows.
>

> > The USB option worked well but I'd like to try the NFS mounting method
> > too. Do you know offhand of a good HOWTO/resource that goes into how to
> > do this?
>
> There's always the "Linux NFS How-to:"
>
> http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/

OK I'm part way there -- I can log in as a user and get my home
directory from the NFS server. But everything in my home directory comes
up as owned by root. If I ssh into the remote server and check the
source for the NFS share, I can see that all the files and dirs in the
user's home are in fact owned by the user. I have ensured that the UID
of the user is the same on both machines.

Any ideas?