Re: Installation Issue

Megahertz wrote:

Sorry about my previous post, I was kinda pissed that
my PC kept rebooting.

That's fine, but remember we're here to help.

I am trying to install Fedora Core 2, I have tested all the Cd's to make sure they have passed. And they did. I am running, 366MHz Intel Celeron processor, 4MB ATI Rage IIC, 64MB SDRAM, 20gig hard drive space and yes I'm trying to get the distro just to install and then install a lightweight windows manager (eg. fluxbox).

This is the problem. I partition like this.
/ = fill max.
/boot = 100MB
<swap> = 190MB

And btw fill max. means, Fill to maximum allowable
size, I thought that was pretty clear but OK.

It would have been, but from as far as I can see, you did not specify your hard disk size in your first post. Hence we knew nothing of the sort...

Everything starts to install just fine. But when I put
in CD 2, and about 3 minutes into the install, it
reboots my computer. I checked to see if anybody else
had this problem and it only happends to people with a
ASUS P4P800 motherboard, or a VIA C3 processor, two of
which I do not have. And as I stated in my original
post, I have already successfully installed Red Hat 9
with no problems. I hope thats enough detail, I can't
really think about anything else to add. Except that I
have tried to install three times, thought it might be
an over heating thing, its not. Right now I got out my
old win98 CD and had to install it (BLEH!) and now I'm
running win98, though I installed fedora core 2, just
the minimum. Worked fine because it only used CD 1.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would really
love to get off this win98 OS!!!!

OK, a few suggestions:

1> Oh so definitely a text install. Don't even try graphical on this hardware.

2> You might try the 'cdnodma' option, in case it's a DMA problem with the CD-ROM.

3> Have quick scout for the RULE project. I'm not sure whether they've built an install for FC2 yet, but your memory is way below recommended and they may have a better way of getting it installed.

4> There's always put the hard drive in a newer, bigger PC, install, then return to the original PC.

Regards,
Ed.