Re: a humble suggestion for newbie guidance

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Robert Locke wrote:

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 05:27, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
   undoubtedly making myself even more unpopular, let me throw out a
short suggestion that will help newbies acclimate themselves here more
quickly.

<snip>

Some sort of welcoming email like yours (I like the tone, but one should
use some capitalization... <big grin>) coupled with a few hyperlinks to
say the FAQ, both search engines, Lisa's new "README" page, and perhaps
even esr's "more detailed netiquette" is a good idea....  The key of
course is to make it short enough to get people started without any long
diatribes that no-one will read.

exactly. i wasn't trying to lay out an entire newbie guide -- just what one would consider the absolutely basic, fundamental and non-negotiable starting point for further participation.

after all, a large number of the complaints on this list (and most lists) are:

  1) poor subject lines
  2) top posting
  3) HTML
  4) not cutting out enough of the quoted reply

start here, and work your way up.

rday