Re: Announcement re suid'd cdrecord

Neal D. Becker wrote:
And given that recent linux kernels disallow cd writing except as root, what
do you propose?

Switch to root to write the CDs. It is not currently safe to allow regular users to do this (http://lwn.net/Articles/98398/).

Many people have suggested reverting to an earlier kernel so that CD burning "works" but I suspect that it just a case of ignorning the security issue; I think the problem has been there for some time and the 2.6.8 kernels have enforced the root-only restriction as a workaround until a "proper" solution
can be found.

Paul.