Re: Kernel question

Jens Schmidt wrote:

Hi list,
could some one explain to me what the performance difference is between a self complied kernel and a "standard" kernel. Is it possible to express the difference some how in percentage.

I don't know what you mean here exactly.

Basically a "standard" kernel is a kernel specifically compiled by the maintainers of Fedora. They make the choice of which features are enabled/disabled and what modules are compiled into the kernel and which ones are load able after.

With a self compiled one, you make all the choices.

I saw commends on lists that if you want better performance you need to compile your own kernel. Is there really such a big performance boost.

Not really with today's fast processors. But, yes, there can be a difference if you turn of all the kernel features you don't use or need. Basically the kernel can become smaller and more efficient.

Regards,
Ed.