Re: FC1 Printer sharing only works with Win98

c_r_@fedora wrote:

I don't see where you need Samba. - perhaps I missed something?

But here is a similar issue, but on FC2(?)
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-August/msg03791.html
which worked for me as well. The deal for me was to edit cups.conf. See
section "Modify cups configuration" at
http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html

hth
chris

True, but Samba (SMB) is the easiest for Win98 (and it does work for Win98) so why not run all the machines the same way? The other machines FC1, FC2, WinXP, Win2K could just as easily use LPR but I have not been successful in getting things to print that way either. In FC2 I even entered a valid uid/pwd in the printer def but that did not seem to help.

At one point early on I did try playing with the CUPS config as indicated above, it didn't seem to make any difference. Plus I was wary of tinkering too much with things I don't fully understand.

Personally I don't see why this is so difficult, I would be inclined to say that it is broken - from a usability point of view certainly.

Mike