Re: Backups to DVD - Is mondo good?

Dear Folks,

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 09:42:24PM +0000, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
> > While k3b looks usable for some stuff, it doesn't seem to handle backing
> > up more than will fit on a DVD without manually laying things out.
> > I didn't see anything that comes with fedora that works like dump/restore
> > (that is an option for me too, but my DVD blanks hold twice what my
> > tapes do).
> >
> > I found a package called Mondo that seems like it might do what I want,
> > but I haven't taken a detailed look at it yet. Since if the package
> > were the best DVD dump package out there, I would have expected it to
> > already be in Fedora, so I am wondering if it has some major problems before
> > I put too much effort into trying it out.
> >

> I use mondoarchive a lot and like it quite a bit.  I don't have a DVD
> burner so I can't directly comment on support for dvds.  I googled
> "mondoarchive dvd" and found that instead of using cdrecord, it will work
> when using dd.

Mondoarchive 2.0x works fine with DVDs.  I can backup both locally and
remotely, perform incremental backups, and verify while backing up.

Good software, I am so glad I found it.  I have not done a bare metal
restore yet, but I can locate and extract individual files from the
archives simply using just the afio software package.
--
Nick Urbanik   RHCE                               nicku(at)vtc.edu.hk
Proud member of the Dept. of Information & Communications Technology,