Re: Big trouble with XP && FC2

Clifford Snow wrote:
On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 17:35, limaunion wrote:

Hi there!

Yesterday I had some big trouble while upgrading M$ XP to SP2, so I decided to recreate the partition and install it again from scratch.

This notebook has the following partitions/OS (hda1=XP, hda2,3=FC2):

/dev/hda1               1       21451    10811272+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2           21452       21660      104422+  83  Linux
/dev/hda3           21660       38553     8514450   83  Linux
/dev/hda4           38553       38760      104422+  82  Linux swap

Now when I try to boot from the XP CD as to proceed with the installation I have a blue screen just right after it starts booting (blue screen after displaying something like it will perform a hw check).

Could it be that SP2 screwed up? I'm holding off applying SP2 until I
hear more. MS is even giving corporation instruction on how to prevent
users from upgrading before the company is ready! I read that IT folks
are worried about the quality, as they should, of SP2.

I think that this problem could be related to the famous FC2 bug (?), but how can I solve this ? I don't want to also have to reinstall FC2...

You didn't say if you could boot to Fedora. The problem as I understand
it was not being able to boot into Fedora after installing FC2 in a dual
boot configuration. Nothing happened to XP.

Let us know if you can boot to Fedora.

I supposed if you can boot into Fedora, you might as well wipe the XP
partition out and use it for Fedora <smile>

Well, regarding SP2, my notebook suddenly froze while it was in the middle of the deployment, and yes, I can boot Fedora luckily without any problem.

I've made two different attempts, (1) I deleted /dev/hda1 with fdisk from FC2 and (2) deleted then created a new partion for hda1 type 7 (NTFS) and in both cases I get the behavior described before (XP setup doesn't start)

Regards, LU.