Please help: Odd mouse problem with kernel-2.6.7-1.494.2.2

I have some mixed eide/scsi boxen which all repeatably and uniformly display the same odd symptom. I use a ps/2 scroll mouse on all (5) of my systems which are pretty nearly identical (2 at work, 3 at home office), and since installing the 2.6.7-1.494.2.2 kernel the scroll wheel on the mouse is somewhat hosed.

Immediately after a hard reboot, it works normally; however after 5-15 minutes of 'normal' work (xterms, email, web browsing, etc.), the system stops recognizing the scroll wheel altogether, and it never "mysteriously starts recognizing" it again thereafter (well not for up to 18 hours so far, anyway).

This is fully repeatable on all 5 boxen, and seems to be independent of the mouse in use (have tried 4 different ps/2 scroll-wheel mice). It did not occur on any previous kernel or under fc1 or rh9. It is also independent of whether gnome or kde desktop is used, and it is independent of which x-server is used ("nv" or the commercial/non-open- source "nvidia" driver from nvidia.com). Finally, it is fully independent of whether I am connecting the mouse directly to the computer or from the kvm switch to the computer. (3 machines on one kvm switch, 2 on the other)

While at first glance it sounds highly illogical that this could be a kernel-related issue (sounds more like an x-server issue to me), I'm running out of other alternatives - I have both 2.6.5-1.358 (the original distribution one) and 2.6.7-1.494.2.2 kerels on these boxes: and if I boot the former it never occurs while if I boot the latter, it invariably occurs.

The messages in /var/log are essentially identical regardless of which kernel is in use, and no error messages show up in anything in /var/log which I can find.

I have bugzilla'ed this one, but any suggestions or other info anyone has on this one would be greatly appreciated - I need to run the later kernel to pick up some other fixes, and the scrollwheel stoppage is a royal pain.

(BTW, I have no idea whether it occurred in any of the update kernels between the two listed above: due to a byte-swap problem in the intervening kernels {bugzilla 126391}, none of them would allow my system to boot.)

--
William W. Austin 			   waustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Life is just a phase I'm going through... this time, anyway..."