Re: how to change my source address in sendmail??

Yang Xiao wrote:

When using masquerading he should know that root is an exposed user and
thus is excluded from masquerading. And the OP explicitly mentioned the
case where the sender address should be root@whatever.

Reading the cf/README is very important anyway. A smarter reading is
provided by the HTML formatted documentation

http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html

Alexander

--

hi, point taken, I just want to add that we should discourage sending ont emails as the root user to the public domain. It's a huge sign saying "I'm new to linux and I'm haven't fully configured my system yet, please come and share it with me."

Yang

It would be nice if there was a simple howto to accomplish the task of getting log/error messages that normally go to root to go to a local user. For home users that have dynamic IP addresses and no FQDN for their IP, this is a problem.

There is also the added problem of ISP's that have implemented higher restrictions on mail due to spam.

I very rarely login as root and it is usually just su. I send my mail to my local account (totally internal) but I still cannot get it read by Mozilla. I can use Pine to read it though. It is low on my priority list.

-- Robin Laing Instrumentation Technologist Voice: 1.403.544.4762 Military Engineering Section FAX: 1.403.544.4704 Defence R&D Canada - Suffield Email: Robin.Laing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx PO Box 4000, Station Main WWW:http://www.suffield.drdc-rddc.gc.ca Medicine Hat, AB, T1A 8K6 Canada