Re: printer problems

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:17:49 -0400, fredex <fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:46:42AM -0400, Richard Schmitt wrote:
Switching to Fedora Core 2 seemed reasonably smooth. But now I am unable
to connect to an HP LaserjetIIIP via the smb network. The printer runs
on another Windows machine in the network. The network works. In fact,
if I try to print on the Laserjet, the machine receives the message and
runs two pieces of paper through but there is no printing on it.

The Laserjet seems to be connected and communicating with the Fedora
machine, but the files to be printed somehow do not make it to the
printer,

Not professing to be an expert but;
If Fedora and the Printer seem to "see each other" and the printer is spitting out "something" then my guess would be a driver/configuration problem on the Fedora box. I'd double check settings and see if something's amis there.

As to Fred's response:
Not me, but I have had a lot of problems getting CUPS/Samba configured
so that I can print from linux to windoze and also the other direction.
I spent hours perusing the samba documentation, I urge you to do the
same. I'm not (at the moment) running Fedora, but on my Tao linux box
the samba docs can be found in /usr/share/doc/samba*4/docs, where there
are several PDF files. also in a subdir are all the html files. There is
a LOT of documentation there, so if you're willing to slog thru it you
may find the info you need.

good luck!

Fred

I see a lot of "printing from Linux to winders boxes" issues on the list and it seems to be a chronic problem. May I suggest an alternative ??

I have a Netgear PS110 Print Server that I use in my network and no longer attach printers to the machine. It works great in the winders environment and setting it up in Linux has been a no brainer since RedHat 7.0.

I know there are those who will insist that I'm avoiding the problem rather than solving it but hey, if it works.....

Joebewan

PS. Fred, I like your signature.