From: "Scot L. Harris" <webid@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Fedora List <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: FC2 media check fails on one system
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:37:57 -0400

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 13:00, RDD IT wrote:
> Hello --
>
> My first attempt to install FC2 failed during the installation of packages,
> with an error message that a particular package could not be found. I
> rebooted, and tested the installation media -- it failed. Stupid me, I
> should have done that before. Burned a new CD, tested it -- failed.
> Downloaded the ISO again, checked the MD5, burned a new CD, tested it --
> failed. Hmmm... Pop the CD in another machine, reboot, test the media --
> PASS! Switched out the CD-ROM drives between the two machines, so that the
> one that had passed the CD was now in my FC2-ToBe machine. Boot up, test
> media -- fail.
>
> So.....apparently FC2 does not like something about my machine's hardware..?
> Have other people experienced similar issues? Are there known issues with
> certain types of hardware -- particular hard drives, motherboards, CPUs,
> etc. that FC2 is not compatible with? I can post more detailed specs on the
> system later if needed (at work now)... There is nothing terribly outdated
> about it, and it all worked fine on RH9.0.
>
> Thanks a lot for any help!

You might try burning the CD at a lower speed. It is very interesting that the same drive that works in one system gets a media failure in the other.

Do you have the drive setup as a master or slave?  If it is a slave you
might try setting it up as a master.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

If a 6600 used paper tape instead of core memory, it would use up tape
at about 30 miles/second.
		-- Grishman, Assembly Language Programming