Re: MPlayer!!!

> On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 15:47, Calvin wrote:
> > I am having trouble installing mplayer!! they make
> it seem so easy!
> > any eay way to do it?

I agree it sounds very difficult! I actually just
installed it today on FC2 and it was easier than I
thought. I am a complete newbie. Taking shortcuts may
lead to problems - I recommend AVOIDING the rpms for
Fedora.

Go to the mplayer website, go to their download
section and get the first file you see on the list
MPlayer-1.0preblablabla.tar.tar or something like
that. I assume you want to have a user-friendly GUI
interface (like winamp) so I advise getting a skin
also. You should download the win32essential codecs as
well.

I couldn't unzip the MPlayer{version}.tar.tar file so
I renamed it .tar.bz2 (yes, it's cheating but it
works) and then went to terminal and typed

tar -xvjf MPlayer-1.0pre4.tar.bz2

Before you do anything make sure you have libpng and
GTK devel packages installed (Go to System Settings,
Add/Remove applications and make sure you have the X
Software and Gnome development options checked).

unzip the win32 codecs and copy all the files (usually
mostly dll files) to /usr/local/lib/codecs/

now using terminal go to the new MPlayer-1.0pre5
directory the original unzipping created, and type

./configure --enable-gui
make

and under root (type su and then the password),

make install

THe last step is to unzip your skin package, and copy
the folder to /usr/local/share/mplayer/Skin/

Rename the skin folder to "default"

Then in terminal just type

gmplayer

and it should start up fine. If you get an error
message about a true-type font, ignore it, right click
on the player, go to Preferences, go to the Font tab
and click Browse. Go to /usr/share/fonts and just pick
a ttf file (I went to the Openoffice directory). Click
OK and you have a functional mplayer!

Any problems don't hesitate to write back.
I hope I've included everything and explained it well.

Art