"exit" vs. "X-ing" out of a terminal

Hi all,

Some time ago, I posted a question about mysterious users that showed up when I would do a "who" at the prompt. I have a question related to that issue. Is there any difference in typing "exit" to stop a terminal vs. clicking on the "X" in that terminal's window? I wonder if these extra users are due to my "X-ing" out of a terminal rather than typing "exit" at the prompt.

Is there any harm done by "X-ing" out of the terminal?

Is there a proper way to retrieve those users remaining from a prior X-out so that I could "exit" from them? (short of rebooting, I can't seem to remove the extraneous users.)

Clint