Re: [FC1], 2.6.8-rc2 kernel, new motherboard problems

Gene Heskett wrote:

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 22:50, Price Technology wrote:
[...]

Per his earlier posts, he seems to have an onboard NIC without a
"burned in" MAC.  I'm not familiar with NVidia making NIC's, but my
Son has a winders gaming system which has a Asus board with NVidia
everything. (except NIC)

Now to the original issue:

Pardon if I am making incorrect assumptions, but I would go back
through the manual that came with the MoBo and try to find some
reference to a "default" MAC if for no other reason than knowing
you at least have the right manufacturer's prefix.

There is no default address, if you turn it on for the first time in the bios settings, it opens a text entry window and asks for an address. I'd assume if it had a default, it would show there, but its blank until you fill it in.

Try the following url, if the above proves in vain:

http://www.coe.uky.edu/~stu/nic/nic.cfm

It's a cross-reference of MAC to Manufacturer and vice versa.

Ok, I'll check that out right now. brb. Humm, it lists Nvidia as having the first 24 bits of 00044B. I'll change that the next time I reboot, many thanks.

Right, I spotted that myself.  (put it in for curiosity)

You may have mentioned it in an earlier post, I think you did actually, but what's the make and model of the board. My curiosity is all riled up now.

Joebewan