re: Fedora Core 2 freeze after several minutes/hours

I have what appears to be a very similar problem with a test machine of mine. In this case it is a 350 MHZ machine with an ATI rage128 card. It does appear to be X and FC2 related as I've not seen this problem with the BDI distro loaded, which is also installed on this machine.

Since this is not my main machine, I have not attempted a FC2 install anywhere else until the problem is resolved. All the latest updates are installed. The next course of action seems to be to configure a log on port to see just how bad the machine is crashing.

One curious thing is that the machine has crashed with a screen saver active everytime, possibly making use of OpenGL. The screen has its normal 'pic' plus a small unledgible 1' square 'pic' overlayed on the screen.

Thanks
dave