ftp and passive mode

I've asked this question before, but nothing has helped

I'm trying to ftp out, I can log into a remote system (another FC2
system, mine, configured with vsftpd and NAT running.)

on the local side I get
227 Entering Passive Mode (x,x,x,x,80,76)
ftp: connect: No route to host

I can log into another system like ftp.linux.ncsu.edu just fine.

only thing is, its only this box, on the remote box I can ftp out to
another fc2/fc1, etc.. with no problem.

the local box was just reloaded from scratch. with basic iptables
running.. with no local nat. and still get the error.

does anyone have any idea, what might be causing this?
--
Doug
Linux user #299439