Re: Fedora Core 2 and Windows xp

Jeff Ratliff wrote:
On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 06:45:21PM +0200, Mikael Konttinen wrote:

Ori,

No, I believe that is because you have overwritten the MBR (Master Boot
Record) with GRUB, something that Windows XP cannot handle as it needs its
own (NT) bootloader.

I've got GRUB in my MBR and can still boot Windows XP. I just chainload my XP partition from GRUB. Windows doesn't need a
special bootloader (although it's glad to wipe out GRUB whenever
it gets a chance).

I think that NT4/NT5 uses a program called ntloader or something similar. I wiped out the mbr with a win98 disk before and XP still worked fine.

The mbr area is pretty small and I believe only does very little than bridge bios to whatever will be booting the os.

Jim