Re: Oddities w/ Sound, Video Effects FC2 -- mobo-related??

Bob Chiodini wrote:
[...]
If you are running gnome, try modprobing pcspkr.  That should restore
your system bell.  There are some comments about how to do this
permanently in the archives.  I don't remember exactly, rc.modules comes
to mind.

Thanks for the tip about that thread. when I ran # sbin/modprobe pcspkr I got my system bell back, but there are two unusual things related:

a) the sound is coming from my desktop speakers/subwoofer rather than the built-in speaker that beeps when a shutdown is done.

b) I created a /etc/rc.modules file that contained the one line
modprobe pcspkr
saved it and rebooted. But the system bell wasn't there. I restored it again with # /sbin/modprobe pcspkr. Do I have the line correct in my /etc/rc.modules file? Should it be /sbin/modprobe pcspkr?

As far as the antspotlight screen saver: I just tried it on my proprietary laden driver ATI 9500 and noticed that the spotlight is pretty dim. Forgive me for asking, is your monitor brightness up high enough?

Yes, but I think I have some more information that might help trouble-shoot what is going on. When I try the flipscreen3D screensaver, it's just displaying a white rectangle. This leads me to believe that what is really happening is that the underlying screen is not being picked up.

I looked in the Advanced settings of the screensaver, and the box for Grab Desktop Images is checked. I have now tried unchecking and rechecking both the Grab Desktop Images and the Grab Video Frames boxes, but the symptoms are the same: for screensavers that use the desktop image, the desktop images is not being detected by the screensaver.

Clint