Re: Fixing a Linux RAID 1 software mirror

Christopher K. Johnson wrote:

Michael Mansour wrote:

Hi,

I've just noticed I have the following issue on my
/home (/dev/md5) software RAID mirror:

[root@gazelle root]# lsraid -a /dev/md5
[dev 9, 5] /dev/md5 6A995494.6BAA9433.BC09B08A.778BCE84 online
[dev ?, ?] (unknown) 00000000.00000000.00000000.00000000 missing
[dev 34, 8] /dev/hdg8 6A995494.6BAA9433.BC09B08A.778BCE84 good

With the raidtab showing:

raiddev             /dev/md5
raid-level                  1
nr-raid-disks               2
chunk-size                  64
persistent-superblock       1
nr-spare-disks              0
   device          /dev/hde8
   raid-disk     0
   device          /dev/hdg8
   raid-disk     1

and the /proc/mdstat shows:

md5 : active raid1 hdg8[1]
     20972736 blocks [2/1] [_U]

As /dev/md5 is my /home directory, I don't want to
lose any data. How can I fix this to get /dev/hde8
into the md5 raidset without losing my data?

I would check whether /var/log/messages shows why you lost that mirror. And if the device is responsive at all you might want to run some diagnostics on that hard drive /dev/hde using smartctl.

In case you don't have it yet, smartctl is part of the kernel-utils package.

Also you will want the mdadm package installed if it isn't already. Configure an email address in /etc/mdadm.conf on the MAILADDR line that will reach you. Then:
chkconfig mdmonitor on
service mdmonitor start
That way you will be notified whenever there is a raid failure event in the future.

The missing and (unknown) indication I have seen once, and it was when a hard drive failed completely. In my case the hard drive had to be replaced, but some of the scsi controller status was wedged due to the unresponsive drive. So I was not able to hot-swap the drive as the same drive name. I ended up having to shutdown, swap drives, and boot back up, then partition the new drive and bring mirrors in sync.

Is hde partitioned the same as hdg? If so you can do this to partition the new drive:
sfdisk -d /dev/hdg >parts.hdg
sfdisk /dev/hde <parts.sdg

Do you have a swap partition on the drive? If so you will need to do a mkswap for that partition and a swapon to bring it online.
mkswap /dev/hdgN

oops! that would be 'mkswap /dev/hdeN' where N is the swap partition number.

swapon -a

With mdadm package installed - to resync hde8 (If your disk is actually fine, then this is the only step you need):
mdadm /dev/md5 -–add /dev/hde8
[repeat for other raid partitions that need to be sync'd]
cat /proc/mdstat # to show progress of synchronization

Do you boot from that drive? If so you will need to fix the grub or lilo mbr after synchronization of partitions is completed.

  Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021