Re: Dell Dimension 4600

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:30:30 +0000, Sölvi Páll Ásgeirsson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to this list, so please correct me if I'm sending to the wrong
> place. I'm thinking about getting a new computer, a Dell Dimension 4600
> to be exact.
> Can any of you recommend that particular machine or do you know if it
> has any problems with running FC2(Or Linux in general?)
>
> Thanks in advance.

Dell are good computers for the money. I worked/managed on several,
including my own and I only had a problem once, when the memory went bad,
and they replaced for free with no hustle.

Dell used to be known for their very good customer service, but as of a
few months back it got worse, based not only on my own assessment, but on
polls which you can probably find on the web. You call them and you wait
and wait, and wait... This, in fact, was one reason that a couple of
months ago I decided to build my own pc. The other reason was that I had
many spare parts, so I didn't want to buy a whole new pc. I had to go to
great extents to beat Dell's prices, and with all my efforts and my spare
parts, I saved less than $100.

I just looked a couple of days at the Dell page, and I saw they offer
systems with RH Enterprise. What I didn't like though, is that it's
getting harder to find a Dell with an honest Radeon AGP card - either
integrated, NVidia or the latest ATI PCI Express, which I don't think
it's supported yet in linux (although ATI provides drivers for it, but for
the 2.4 kernel).

In general you won't go wrong with Dell, and the fact that they sell with
linux, at least tells you that the hardware they use is supported.