Re: Dell Dimension 4600

> Solvi,
>
> What are your needs for the machine? Home-PC w/ light
> home/business use; mid size business w/ 20 users? Are
> you editing broadcast video?
> I build my own. but for you, I need to understand
> function. Consider: if the power supply needs
> replacing, is this a $40 part, or $140 part coz you
> have to order if from a big brand name?
>
> What about upgrading next year? Are you locked in to
> their brand offerings, or can you "pick'n'mix." If you
> DIY, will that "break the warranty."
>
> Consider cars (autos)-
> Many years ago, if you got the oil and filter changed
> at anywhere other than the franchise dealer, next time
> you went to the dealer they pitched a fit. Today
> dealers accept that oil and filter change does not
> compromise warranty. We all know that it does not
> require "factory trained technicians" to twist off an
> oil filter.
>
> Suggestion-
> define use, hardware requirements, and build it
> yourself.
>
> kate
> B.Sc Information Systems

Thank you for a nice answer.  This computer is supposed to be my
personal workstation.
I look at vendors like Dell, IBM and HP because of warranty.
The purpose of this machine is for some development, occasional game
play(Such as newly-gone-gold Doom 3 :)), web-surfing and such.
I looked at putting together one myself, but the price difference is
relatively small compared to the hassle.
Plus, I can return the WinXP license and get a refund.(Yes, I looked
into it.  Icelandic laws are a treat when it comes to this.)
My old HP-Brio is becoming outdated, that's why I'm looking for an
upgrade.