nvidia and gl

I have an nvidia geforce2 mx 400 adapter.
-
I waited until the latest 6016 nvidia drivers came out with the fix for
the 8k stacks to install the nvidia drivers and try them out.

I downloaded the driver from nvidia and installed it from their .run
file, made the changes in the Xorg.conf file, and restarted X
-

from my Xorg.0.log file I get
(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"

I tested with glxgears and only got about 5fps, so I did more digging.
I found a post recommending 4 options for the xorg.conf file and I put
them in.  I verified that dri is not loaded and that glx is loaded.

from the device secton of my xorg.conf file I have (with the options in
place).

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"
        Option "RenderAccel" "On"
        Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP,TV"
        Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT"
        Option "HWCursor" "On"
EndSection
                                                                                Now after restarting X again I get between 10 - 15fps on glxgears, a slight improvement but not good.  I know from other posts that I should be able to get 1000fps or better.

Does anyone have any clues or suggestions as to what I have missed here?

My entire xorg.conf file can be sent if needed.

Thanks
Jeff