Re: FC2 Issues

Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:54:11 +0000
"Christensen Tom" <paveraware@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would just like to publicly voice my complete and utter disatisfaction with you people. Redhat has been my linux of choice for 6 years, and I appreciated FC1, but since I can't install FC2 because of 2 very huge bugs

[...]

There are probably two reasons why he's so upset:

1) Intellectual: Redhat radically changed the focus of the product when they changed it from RHL to FC. For a large portion of us, RHL met our needs. For another large portion of us, FC does not. So, we had a product that we loved and could rely upon, and now (as you stated), FC does not.

Can you not continue to use RHL? If you're concerned about updates, etc. there's the Fedora Legacy project (http://www.fedoralegacy.org/) which continues to provide updates to RHL all the way back to 7.x

Plus, some of us staked our professional reputations on RHL and the migration path from RHL to RH. That path no longer exists, because there is no way in hell that I (for one) will ever install FC2 on a client's production server. Used to be I could install RHL and show them how things could be better than Windows, then get them to purchase RHN or RHEL. No longer.

Can they not use RHEL without having to go via FC2? RHL to FC1 is relatively painless, if you feel they absolutely must try a Fedora distribution before going on to RHEL.

--

-John (john@xxxxxxxxxxx)