Re: Core 3 Release 1 vs Core 2

Yes, yes, yes.

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 01:27:13AM -0500, Terry Linhardt wrote:
> Can someone in the know explain how a new "Core" differs from a prior
> Core number.  Does Core 3 imply that there will be new features bundled
> into the product that just do not exist in Core 2, even if fully
> updated?

Yes. Features will be added and/or integrated, packages will be upgraded
(by major version), removed and substituted.

> By it's nature, is Core 3, Test 1, for instance, "less stable" than core
> 2 ?

Yes. Don't even assume that the installation will even start on your
hardware.

> Would Core 2, for instance, be considered a "release" while Core
> 3, Test XX be considered a "pre-release" or beta?

Fedora Core 2 is considered a (somewhat) stable release. The Test releases
are for testing purposes only. They represent a stabilised snapshot of the
development tree and will help in testing the current situation.

No updates will ever be released for a test release. One can either change
to bleeding edge Development or stick with it until a future release.

> Elementary questions, I guess. But, I want to understand how to regard,
> for instance, Core Release 2 vs Core Release 3 Test 1.

Don't install it on production systems. But if you have time and a system
to spare (your home system, perhaps, if you don't deem data loss that
important), try the Test releases and test them. :)

Regards,
Luciano Rocha