Re: OT: Want to Build PC for Fedora Use - Hardware Questions

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
At 11:36 AM 7/1/2004, Clint Harshaw wrote:

ASUS "P4P800-E Deluxe" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU

The P4P800 series had some problems with the newer kernels. I believe they've been solved, but have heard better things about the A7N8X series. I am also a bit out-of-touch with motherboards, though, so take that with a grain of salt.
I have the A7N8X-Deluxe and I haven't had a single problem. Just needed to download the nVidia drivers for chip set. I am still on FC1.

Also, just to encourage competition, save some money, and still get a kick-ass CPU, I recommend AMD rather than Intel where possible. Love 'em.

ASUS nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "V9520/TD"
I use an nVidia card after much fighting with ATI drivers and cards. Older ATI card works great at work. I couldn't get the 9600 to work (in january).

Well, you mentioned being used to the driver issues, but you *will* have an easier time with a mid-range ATI card based on the R200 chip (like the 7200) if what I read on this list is correct (no personal experience there). ATI has not released specs or driver for the R300-based cards making their use even iffier than Nvidia. Just depends how much horsepower you need.

Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD800JD

Check $/GB, get the best "deal" out there. I've been looking at the WD 160GB drives myself.

Go Large. I am surprised how fast 100G fills up when you start working with DVD's and mpgs.

Do I even need a sound card, since the board comes with onboard audio?

Onboard should be fine, I'd guess.

Cheers,

My only issue with Fedora and sound is the move to Alsa. I have had problems with some applications that don't really like Alsa, but I haven't had time to look into them.

I have an AMD 3200 Barton chip and 1 gig ram.

I also prefer trackballs as I don't normally have much desk space.

I am looking at moving to FC2 after my holidays. If the install is as nice as FC1, I will be very happy. I was waiting for the new nVidia drivers to support 4k kernel.
--
Robin Laing