Re: Installing RPM packages and network

Francis Appiah wrote:
> 3.)
> Also I am runnign fc2 on a campus with a main DHCP host, I have
> realised that the host server is only allowing me to get onto on
> campus websites, I cannot resolve any hosts who address are not
> withing our subnet.

I agree that this sounds intentional. For most business users, access
to an e-mail server and a Web proxy is sufficient. (In this case, the
e-mail server and the Web proxy would look up the names on the Internet,
not the client).

In any case, you should probably find out these details. You should be
able to find out your Web proxy from a nearby Windows box: this will
probably do for FTP and secure connections as well. You can use
gnome-network-preferences (GNOME foot -> Preferences -> Network Proxy)
to set this up under GNOME.

You may be able to discover the e-mail server settings from an already-
configured e-mail program. Note that Outlook (not Outlook Express) and
Lotus Notes (with which I have no experience) can be configured to use
proprietary e-mail protocols, so they might not help. If you're really
unlucky, the e-mail admins will have disabled any other form of e-mail:
you'll have to look into which Linux clients are available.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | "I still want a phone with caller-IQ."
westexe.demon.co.uk    | "The telco will never make it available until they