Re: First Install of Fedora

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 07:59 -0400, Michael Cortes wrote:
> We have several linux servers.   RH 7.2 and RH9
>
> I also have RH9 on my laptop.
>
> I jut d/l'ed and was getting reading to install FC2 and I got to the question
> of new install or upgrade.
>
> I thought I could not run the upgrade from the old RedHat distros to Fedora
> but Fedora correctly identified my previous installation of RH9 and seemed to
> give me the option of upgrading.
>
> Can i do an upgrade and not lose my settings?

Yes, BUT - many reported problems on upgrades with XFree86 -> Xorg,
mice, LVM, ...

Also depends on standard RH vs 3rd part packages/non-packaged software
installed that may conflict or confuse anaconda.  Highly recommend
searching Bugzilla and list archives for items relative to your
hardware/software configuration.  Cleanest approach is to back up
(needed prerequisite anyway) and do a fresh install, but many have made
upgrades work.  My laptop has been upgraded from RH 7.x -> FC2 but not
without some pain.  I always like to have a bootable "clone" of the OS
before pursuing either upgrade or install.

Finally, taking a step back, FCx is not recommended for production
environments.  Would suggest you take a look at RHEL, if your pockets
are deep enough and you want/need the support; or the free clones -
WBEL, Tao, CentOS for servers.  We're very satisfied with WBEL http://
www.whiteboxlinux.org/ for our servers.

Phil