Re: dhcp vs gnome?

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Jack Howarth wrote:

   Can anyone tell me if the following is expected behavior for
gnome? I noticed that under Fedora Core 2 if I lose internet
connectivity (ie pull the cable) that gnome terminal windows
will not open until I put it back on the ethernet. Is there a
workaround for this problem?
                    Jack
ps I think I also see this problem arise if the DNS servers go
down so I think it may be more related to a failure to do DNS
lookups for the machine itself. Unfortunately since the
machine connects with dhcp, I am unable to simply hard code the
domainname into the hosts file.

There are 2 issues here.

1. If hostname changes - then 'xauth' changes - so the x-server
rejects new requests
2. If hostname doesn't change - but the network/DNS goes down,
some applications try to resolve local hostname - and just
hang for a while.

My soultion to this problem is - set the name locally and NOT let DHCP change it.
- add a local DNS entry to this name in /etc/hosts.

So I have the follwing in /etc/sysconfig/network
HOSTNAME=asterix

and in /etc/host
127.0.0.1  asterix

Not sure if this is sufficient to avoid getting a new hostname from
the DHCP server.

Satish