Re: opinions on replacing vsftpd with proftpd?

Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 16:00 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am So, den 20.06.2004 schrieb Rui Miguel Seabra um 15:41:

proftpd has historically had many security problems (probably due to the
many more features).

Which software not?

Some software has less bugs than others.

wu-ftpd was even worse.

Indeed it is!

As always, running a server
with specific services you _always_ have to watch out for bug reports
and keep your system up to date!

Of course having to do it too many times without any need is not smart! Luckily there are other choices.

ftp is braindead anyway, if you have to use a daeon, use one with the
least ammount of features possible.

I do not agree.

Do you care to substantiate?

Two ports for what? One of them just for carrying data? yuck!
Can't you do the same with HTTP? Some clients even talk to HTTP in a way
that it "looks" like an FTP site (hint: lftp).

FTP is in the same class as TELNET... obsolete, redundant, less secure,
etc... :)

So I am to assume you wish everything we do to be based on a web browser (http).?
In my experience too often I see a very slow transfer with web browser even using the ftp protocol (ftp://ftpserver/filename ). When I switch to the ftp client it speeds up dramatically. ( 8kb/s using the browser can easily become 120kb/s or more using the ftp client ) YMMV

And just how much do you know about the programming and technology that makes the ftp protocol (using 2 ports) work so well that makes you complain about it? IMHO using a control port and a data port can easily and understanably speed the transfer. The control signal does not have to be checked for on every packet sent/received on the data channel --> less processing --> speeds up transfer and communication simplified. Each port has a dedicated task that it does well.

Too many people want a multifunction "one size fits all" memory and resource huingry tool (ala Windows); rather than using multiple tools each of which is small and does its job very well and efficiently(ala *nix).

There are many techniques that benefit from using multiple ports although few are as specific and bandwidth hungry as ftp. It is efficient *because* it uses 2 ports.

Hugs, Rui