Re: Alsa sound drivers missing on FC2

Jeff Vian wrote:

I just performed a new (clean) install of FC2. MSI mobo with via chipset and audio on-board.

From watching this list and reading it appears that FC2 should have installed the alsa sound system by default. My system did not.

The listing of my sound modules loaded is below, and in my case it clearly uses the OSS driver and not alsa. Sound does work, but I have not tested the quality. Did I miss something or did the promised alsa drivers not make it into this release?

snd_mixer_oss 13824 3 snd_pcm_oss
snd_via82xx 20644 4
snd_ac97_codec 54788 1 snd_via82xx
snd_pcm 69256 2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_via82xx
snd_timer 17284 1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc 8072 2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
gameport 3328 1 snd_via82xx
snd_mpu401_uart 4864 1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi 17444 1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device 6152 1 snd_rawmidi
snd 39396 13 snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device

soundcore                   6112  3 snd

It's not FC that changed from oss to alsa, its the kernel that moves from oss to alsa between 2.4 and 2.6 for its default sound driver. Since fc only follows the kernel default, it moves along. (the kernel should have moved to alsa when it moved to 2.x but that's my opinion.)

CBee