Re: Grub entry to start without X

Then press ctrl+alt+[123456]

;)

Carnal Ortega wrote:
Mike, I was referring to when/if problems occur while in an X session.

Mike Fedyk wrote:

If the X server doesn't startup correctly at level5 then you will have the text login to perform your repairs without switching run levels. Just press alt+[123456]

Carnal Ortega wrote:

Out of habit I boot into runlevel 3 by default because I feel runlevel 5 is like windows. What I mean by that is if video problems occur or any situation where X crashes in runlevel 5 the user will most likely be forced to reboot his system whereis if it occured in runlevel 3 the user would be dumped to the console where he can restart x instead.

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Of course if you want to boot up into runlevel 3 always, then changing

the inittab entry is the correct way. You are right. I just didn't
understand the OP in this way. Maybe because I see Fedora as a desktop
system and when someone wants to run a CLI system why then did he
install an X server?

As always: multiple possible routes and different opinions :)