Re: ntp sync frequency

Nina Pham wrote:

by default, how often ntpd does the synchronization? can we change the time interval? What are the pros and cons running ntpd? Alternative way of ntpd is running cron. I think by running cron, we have more control over time synchronization.

The unix implementation (linux too) changes the update frequecy as necesary. THe bandwidth in which it updates can be configured in powers-of-two seconds, ranging from 2 (4 seconds) to 16 (2^16 seconds, a couple of days). With this, it also calculates the drift of the internal clock and once the drift is known, the update frequency is lowered.

The M$Windows 2003 implementation of ntp only updates once a week without any controll over this frequency.

My idea is to have 1 machine that syncs externally and also acts as a broadcasting clock on the internal network in a hourly frequency. All other machines should listen to this broadcast clock.

CBee