Re: Promise RAID-1 vs software RAID-1

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Jack Howarth wrote:

   If it is true that the Promise RAID 1 does in fact
read partially from each drive to increase the throughput,
does software RAID-1 do the same?
                  Jack

Raid 1 is mirroring only. For data integrity reasons I can't see how they could read from any but the master mirror.

I suspect your friend is confusing with 1+0, which as you say would require four drives to implement.

I doubr software raid would act any differently (but I'm willing to be corrected here :)

I can say that the promise read performance with a two disk stripe was substanstially better than a single disk.

I suspsct that some of this is due to the onboard cache on the card, but I couldn't be too sure.

I'm not a huge fan of the promise cards, 3Ware seemto be more reliable from what I've found.

Cheers,

Al