Re: Samba Shared Folders over a WAN link

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

Then how does one access the file system? If it's just like FTP then
It's not gonna be v useful.

it's a browser, just like a windows point and click interface, except you put and get using command line. It still access the filesystem using ls/dir etc...

I guess I misunderstood your initial requirements, sorry. The cadaver comment was just meant to show that theres interoperability there.

Right now, I'm on a Linux Box connecting to another LInux Samba File server

So you have a linux filesystem that is accessed by samba and then using samba is sent to the rest of the world ? Remember that SMB is a windows evolved protocol, and was never intended for linux to linux communication (altho I'm sure it'll work for that).

hmm.. is TCP NFS (as opposed to udp) any better for you ?

What is the aggregate bandwidth between the two boxes ? If this is over the internet _any_ solution you pick is likely to get shitty performance. :)

I still think webdav is a reasonable solution. I suggest investigating it and then getting back to me :)

Cheers,

Al