Re: NDISwrapper and wlan0 under iwconfig

Timothy Wagner wrote:

Ladies and Gentlemen!

A friend of mine has a Belkin 802.11b wi-fi pci card in his desktop. The best and most reliable way to get this going that I've found so far is using NDISwrapper. First of all, if anyone else knows of a great driver for this card then I am completely all ears. However, I have had excellent performance with my Belkin 802.11g card using NDISwrapper so I think it will work for his too. His chipset (Realtek 8180) is supported by NDISwrapper. Anyway, the problem he is having is that when he gets "wlan0" created into iwconfig he can't edit it. He tries to edit settings like mode, or encryption key, or ESSID, or anything and nothing changes. None of the things he sets will be changed. Therefore, he is having significant trouble getting his wi-fi card to get onto any routers. Anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this? Thanks!

-Tim

The problem is that Neat prefers eth_ devices over wlan_ devices.

assuming he's using FC 2, his /etc/modprobe.conf need to be changed like this:

alias eth1 ndiswrapper
options eth1 if_name=eth1

HTH,

Aaron